Attending your first consultation with an attorney may cause you to be a little nervous, as you may not be familiar with the legal process in Florida personal injury cases. In this article, we will give you points to keep in mind and questions you should ask during your first consultation with an attorney regarding a motorcycle accident.
What Should You Look for in a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
During your initial contact with a motorcycle accident lawyer, keep the following points in mind:
- Look for a motorcycle accident lawyer that is organized and professional in their job.
- You should hire a motorcycle accident lawyer who has excellent communication skills and a thorough understanding of motorcycle accidents.
- You should hire a motorcycle accident lawyer that lives in the region where the accident occurred since they will be familiar with the roads and what transpired.
- You should hire a motorcycle accident lawyer who has handled situations similar to yours before.
It's natural that the prospect of having to pay a lawyer and maybe having to go to court would be stressful. When you have the appropriate motorcycle accident lawyer on your side, though, the procedure will be much easier. It's critical that you follow these steps to prepare for your first consultation:
- After an accident, do not hesitate to contact a lawyer. The sooner you begin looking for a lawyer, the greater your chances of building a good case become.
- During the consultation, do not be scared to ask questions. A lawyer is supposed to be at your disposal.
- It's a good idea to jot down the names of the lawyers you meet with. You are welcome to bring a notepad to the consultation and take notes.
- You should also inquire about the lawyer's contingency costs. The initial consultation should be free, and you should not be forced to pay costs if you decide not to hand them your case.
- An attorney will want to learn more about your situation, so be prepared to answer their inquiries. They'll inquire about the circumstances leading up to the accident, as well as the bike you ride and other data.
Interviewing Attorneys for Motorcycle Accidents
Experience & Background
You may begin your free consultation by inquiring about the motorcycle accident attorney's expertise, history, and legal abilities. Questions could include:
- How long have you been an attorney?
- Every year, how many personal injury victims do you represent? § Do you belong to a bar association or another form of group?
Approach to Legal Advice and Legal Philosophy
You should inquire about the motorcycle accident lawyer's strategy and manner of practice, such as:
- How do you address instances involving motorcycle accidents?
- How do you usually collaborate with clients? Will you present me with alternatives and let me choose? Will you direct my actions?
- As a lawyer, how would you define your approach?
Evaluation of Your Motorcycle Accident Case
You'll want to know how your lawyer thinks about your case and whether they believe it will succeed. Questions to consider are:
- What are your thoughts on my situation?
- What type of compensation will I get?
- Are there any possible issues or delays with my case?
- Will I be required to appear in court?
- Every year, what proportion of motorcycle accident cases do you settle? § How long do you estimate my case will take to be resolved?
If you feel you have discovered an excellent lawyer for your case, you should inquire about how your case will be handled.
- Are you interested in representing me?
- Will there be additional attorneys working on my case?
- Will you manage court appearances and negotiations?
- How often will you communicate with me?
- When will you provide me updates and progress reports on the case? § What is your preferred method of communication?
When you meet with a lawyer, you should always inquire about legal expenses, such as:
- Will I have to pay you if we don't reach an agreement or win the case?
- Do you require a retainer?
- Can you tell me how much money I could get after legal bills if we settle the lawsuit or if the case goes to trial?
Hiring an Attorney
It's time to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer to take on your case once you've met with the right attorney. You should ask yourself the following questions to determine the right one:
- Which attorney has the necessary expertise and qualifications to handle my case?
- Which attorney has the most effective strategy? § Which lawyer makes me feel the most at ease?
The Time Period for Filing a Motorcycle Accident Claim (Statute of Limitations)
The laws and deadlines for bringing a personal injury claim vary by state. According to the statute of limitations in Florida, you have four years from the date of the motorcycle accident to retain a personal injury lawyer and seek compensation. If someone you care about dies in a motorcycle accident, you have two years from the date of the event to engage a personal injury lawyer and seek compensation for funeral costs, medical bills, lost income, property damage, pain and suffering, and other damages.
The Florida statute of limitations specifies how long you have to file a personal injury lawsuit in Florida. Florida Statute 95.11
Call Nooney, Roberts, Hewett & Nowicki For a Free Initial Consultation!
If you or someone you know has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you should know what questions to ask a lawyer. It is critical to build a trusting and mutually beneficial attorney-client relationship.
The attorneys at Nooney, Roberts, Hewett & Nowicki have decades of successful experience defending clients who have been involved in motorcycle accidents. Let us do the fighting for you.
Call us at (904) 398-1992 or fill out a quick form to schedule a free initial consultation with our aggressive motorcycle accident attorneys! ¡Hablamos español!
 FLA. STAT. § 95.11