Law Offices of Nooney Roberts Hewett & Nowicki :


The United States education system doesn’t only benefit Americans. At universities throughout
the United States, students from other nations broaden their education and learn valuable skills.
But not all foreign individuals can study in the United States. Before coming into the country, a
student must apply for a visa.

Student visas give foreign nationals the chance to reap the benefits of American higher education
institutions. This type of visa is a non-immigrant visa, as it only allows for a temporary stay in
the United States. Here at Nooney, Roberts, Hewett & Nowicki, we can help you understand the
complexities and intricacies of the visa and achieve a successful application.

Details and Types of Visas

This type of visa is only for students who plan on studying in the United States. In fact, students
must enroll at a qualified institution before they apply for the visa. If the government grants the
visa application, the student can only stay in the country for a short period. The period expires
when the student finishes the study program or assignment.

There are different kinds of student visas. Typically, the type you choose depends on your
studies and the type of educational institution you will attend. The following are three of the
most common examples of visas for students:

F-1 Visa

This visa is for academic researchers. Students or researchers who want to study or research at
the following locations can apply for this specific visa:

  • U.S. college or university
  • High school
  • Private elementary school
  • English language school
  • Other approved academic institutions

To have a successful visa, you must be accepted to the institution before your application. Your
institution can provide you with an I-20 form to submit with your visa application. If you are in
the United States, you need to leave to apply for this visa. You can only apply from an embassy
or consulate out of the United States. Another prerequisite is to prove you have financial support
for the duration of your stay in the U.S. This requirement is a way for the United States
government to know you won’t be seeking employment during your tenure in their country.

With this visa, you are given a certain amount of time to complete your studies. However, it
typically only allows you to stay in the country if you maintain your enrollment status. Although ou may be able to work part-time on your campus, you cannot work full-time or work any off-campus job.

Although persons holding student visas generally are not permitted to work off-campus,
exceptions are made if: (1) the student has been in good standing for a specific period; (2) the
prospective employer has not successfully recruited United States workers for the position in a
specific period; (3) the employer will pay the student the prevailing wage 6 ; and (4) the student will not work more hours per week than permitted for on-campus employment.

J-1 Visa

Also known as the Academic Studies as an Exchange Visitor visa, the J-1 visa has some
particular requirements. It is only for individuals who will do a work-study program for cultural
exchange. Usually, it is for medical or business training.

To receive this visa, you need to be fluent and proficient in English. You also need to have the
minimum required medical insurance. Much like the F-1 visa, you need proof that you have
financial support for the time of your stay. You also must show that you intend to return to your
home country after the program; you could show a return airplane ticket to go back home on the
date the visa expires, bank and mortgage accounts, direct family members, and more to prove
that you intend to return to your home country.

If you plan on applying for this visa, you need to get a DS-2019 form from the sponsoring
organization or a government agency.

M-1 Visa

For vocational or other non-academic studies, you can seek an M-1 visa. This allows you to
study at a vocational school or another non-academic institution. Applicants must first be
accepted by the vocational institution before applying for the visa. Additionally, that institution
needs to be approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You
need to be fluent and proficient in English, have enough money to live comfortably, retain
permanent residence in your country of origin, and have the intention of leaving the United

With this visa, you can only stay for as long as your training lasts, which includes optional
training and a 30-day grace period. But you cannot stay for longer than one year in the U.S. If
you have a medical issue or extenuating circumstances, you may be able to apply for an
extension. While in the United States on the visa, you cannot work on or off your campus.
When you apply, you need to include an I-20 form with a signature from a school official. This
needs to be done in the United States consulate or embassy of the country you originate from.

How to Apply for Student Visas

There are certain steps in the application process. First, you need to submit the proper
application. As mentioned above, you can only apply after you gain admission to your program
and receive the appropriate paperwork.

The second step is to pay the fee. In most cases, you need to pay United States Immigrations and
Customs Enforcement (ICE) at least three days before you submit your application. The fees
vary depending on your type of visa. At Nooney, Roberts, Hewett & Nowicki, we will inform
you on what fees you are required to pay. After you make the payment, print out a copy of your
receipt. This payment is for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, not the actual
student visa.

Should you choose us to help you, we will fill out your visa application. The form is detailed and
requires some supporting documentation, such as a digital photograph. After you sign, we will
submit it.

Once you submit your application, you must pay your visa application fees. You will then be
able to schedule an appointment for an interview. Before the interview, you need to make an
appointment for fingerprinting. You must do so several days before the interview.

At the interview, you need to respond to questions about your life and your education plans. For
example, you must answer questions about your English skills, your educational experience, and
your plans for furthering your education. You should take all the required documentation with
you to the interview.

We Can Help You with Your Visa

If you plan on applying for a student visa by yourself, more than likely you will encounter
difficulties. The process is not as simple as you imagine—it is complicated and strict. One wrong
answer or missing document could jeopardize your education.

Here at Nooney, Roberts, Hewett & Nowicki, we can help you navigate the process and difficult
government intricacies nobody would want to go through alone. Most importantly, we will
handle all the hard work. With our help and guidance, your student visa could soon become a
reality. Contact us today for a free consultation at (904) 398-1992.

1680 Emerson St
Jacksonville, FL 32207
Copyright © 2022, Law Offices of Nooney, Roberts, Hewett & Nowicki

Schedule Your Free Consultation

Contact Form Demo
menu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram